MADRONA FIBER ARTS WINTER RETREAT
FEBRUARY 11-14, 2016
Hotel Murano, Tacoma, Washington
MINI CLASS SCHEDULE, SUPPLIES AND HOMEWORK
ONLINE MINI CLASS REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. YOU MAY STILL REGISTER FOR A MINI CLASS THAT HAS OPENINGS WITH MARY AT THE MADRONA RETREAT TABLE UP TO 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE CLASS. CHECK THE SCHEDULE ABOVE TO SEE WHICH CLASSES HAVE OPENINGS.
REGISTRATION FOR REGULAR RETREAT CLASSES IS NOW CLOSED.
No regular classes can be purchased, changed or exchanged at the retreat.
SUPPLY AND HOMEWORK LIST FOR REGULAR CLASSES
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- Registration for regular classes is closed. Online registration for Mini Classes is closed. You can still register for only Mini Classes that have openings with Mary at the Madrona retreat table.
- For travel information and directions to the Hotel Murano, Go to the Hotel and Travel Information page.
- For more information see the 2016 Winter Retreat FAQs page.
ARE YOU READY FOR MADRONA?
Another Madrona is ready to take off! We’ve outlined all the highlights for you below. Click Here for the Retreat Events Schedule and Times.
Join the fun even if you are not registered. Informal gatherings and hanging out are part of the Madrona community tradition. There are NO ENTRY FEES. Everyone is welcome!
Parking at Madrona
There is paid daily parking at the Hotel Murano and other pay-for-parking sites in the vicinity of the hotel. For more parking, driving directions and travel information see the Hotel and Travel Information page. Another possible option for paid parking is at the Tacoma Convention Center down the street from the Murano although there are events scheduled there. Click here for a Map and Direction to print.
The 2016 Yarn and Fiber Market is the Best Yet!
Our Fabulous Market is always FREE.
- We’ve got your favorite vendors and some new ones this year. It’s open in the Pavilion at the Hotel Murano daily during the retreat from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm and closes earlier on Sunday at 2:00 pm.
- Nancy Bush is again in the Market with a special booth representing the knitters from Estonia who are celebrating the opening of the Haapsalu Pitsikeskus (Haapsalu Lace Center) to promote and share the history and techniques of the lovely lace knitting traditions of this region of Estonia.
- Click Here to see all that the Madrona Market has to offer.
Demo’s and Clinics Galore in the Rotunda – All FREE!
- Come join the fun in the Rotunda – gather around with friends and meet new ones. Knit, spin, explore weaving, Kumihimo braiding, get answers to your knitting questions and try out a knitting belt, spindling and fiber blending boards. It’s all free.
- Syne MItchell explores the world of Rigid Heddle weaving. Carol Milne, who knits in glass, returns with an entire dress knitted in glass. Janine Bajus presents the “Joy of Color” and shares the secrets of color in Fair Isle. John Whitley brings his Kudakai stand to demonstrate complex Kumihimo braiding, weave on big looms with Tracy Irwin and a small loom with John Mullarkey. Learn tips and strategies for the Fox Paws patterns with Pamela Grossman and try using a knitting belt with June Hemmons Hiatt. There’s spinning with Sarah Anderson, spindling with Ilisha Helfman and Amelia Garripoli and you can take your knitting questions to Karen Aho and Daniel Herrera.
- Click Here for the full schedule of all that’s happening in the Rotunda.
Book Signing by our Teacher Authors
Click Here for the Book Signing Schedule for all our teacher authors. Signings take place in the Rotunda on Friday and Saturday from 5-6 pm. Please bring your own books to be signed. Books from our teacher authors are available for purchase from some Marketplace vendors.
Evening Events at Madrona
Thursday Evening: Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee hosts the Fifth Annual Teacher Talent Sow for Charity.
ballroom doors open at 7:00 pm and not before. show begins at 7:30 pm.
A select number of your teachers have decided to reveal their non-knitting talents as a fundraiser for MSF-Doctors without Borders, The Global Fund for Women, and Heifer International. We promise this night will be magical and unexpected. You know it was a highlight of Madrona last year and we went from laughing till we cried to awe. This will be another unforgettable evening for charity.
- Tickets are not needed, but we and our teachers ask you to give generously to Madrona’s Charity Partners. They provide health care, economic security, safety, education and leadership opportunities for families and especially for women and children throughout the world. Doctors without Borders and grantee organizations of the Global Fund for Women have been Nobel Peace Prize winners.
- There are tables at the back of the room with people to collect your donations. Anyone who donates $40 or more will get a Madrona T-shirt while the supplies last.
- We will also be collecting knitted hats, scarves, and sweaters for the local charity Caring for Kids.
- There is a STRICT MEDIA BLACKOUT for this event. The agenda is secret and a condition of several teachers’ performance. No cameras, no recording, no blogging, absolutely no Youtube or Twitter. What happens at Madrona, stays at Madrona and the only way to know what happens this night is to be there!
Friday Evening Teacher’s Gallery and presentation by Janine Bajus – FREE
BALLROOM DOORS OPEN AT 7:00 PM AND PRESENTATION BEGINS PROMPTLY AT 7:30 PM
You are invited to meet all the teachers and view their amazing fiber art work following the presentation by Janine Bajus, who has lived her life in Technicolor as the original Feral Knitter. Janine was the spark the inspired so many of us to try Fair Isle knitting and designing our own. Please join us while Janine shares her secrets and takes us on an adventure of dreaming in color.
Saturday Evening Banquet Dinner – By Ticket Only
Ballroom doors open at 6:15 pm, dinner is served at 6:45. Cash bar outside the ballroom 5:30 – 7:30.
- Our speaker is Cat Bordhi whose creativity and vision have no bounds. Cat has lit up the knitting world and Madrona with the intrigue of the Moebius to unearthing new facets of sock architecture. She will take us down many roads of her discoveries while inspiring our own creativity.
- The banquet is sold out and admission is by ticket only so be sure to have your ticket with you. It’s in your name badge holder.
- You may trade or sell your ticket – see the white board by the Retreat Registration Table.
- Mini Classes: You may sign up for any Mini Class with an opening right up until 24 hours before the class. At the retreat to sign up for a Mini Class see Mary at the Retreat Registration Table. If you can’t attend your Mini Class you are free to sell or give it away – but you must let us know who will be taking your place.
- Regular Class Registrations will close Saturday evening, February 6th. No exchanges, additions or changes can be made at the retreat.
- Check the Supply and Homework List at the top of this page and come prepared for class. Supply list for the Mini Classes are in the Mini Class Schedule.
- On arrival check in at the Retreat Registration Table (one floor up from the lobby) and get your registration packet with class locations, map of the hotel and your name badge. There are lots of posters and signs to get you where you want to go!
- Check the Hotel and Travel Information page on this website for driving directions, airport shuttle information, train travel and parking suggestions.
And last but certainly not least, be prepared to have fun!
Suzanne and Cornie may set the stage but it is all of you who make Madrona come alive! We would not want to miss being with you all.
See you at Madrona — February 11-14, 2016