MADRONA FIBER ARTS WINTER RETREAT
FEBRUARY 15-18, 2018
Hotel Murano, Tacoma, Washington
MINI CLASS SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE
Online Mini Class Registration is NOW CLOSED
You may still register for a Mini Class that has openings with Mary at the Madrona Retreat Registration Check-in Table up to 24 hours prior to the start of the class. Check the Mini Class Schedule above to see which classes have openings.
REGISTRATION FOR REGULAR RETREAT CLASSES IS NOW CLOSED
No regular classes can be purchased, changed or exchanged at the Retreat
SUPPLY AND HOMEWORK LIST FOR REGULAR CLASSES
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- Registration for regular classes is now closed.
- Online Mini Class registration is NOW CLOSED. You may still register for Mini Classes that have openings at the retreat.
- Hotel Murano is full of Madrona attendees. Go to the Make Hotel Reservations page
for alternative hotel options and instructions to get on the wait list for Hotel Murano rooms.
- For travel information and directions to the Hotel Murano. Go to the Hotel and Travel Information page.
- Mini-Class Registration is OPEN. Many of our teachers will be offering mini class versions of their favorites.
- Watch our website and sign up for our Mailing List if you have not already. We will keep you informed.
- For more information see the 2018 Winter Retreat FAQs page.
Be sure to save FEBRUARY 15-18, 2018
Be part of the Madrona Community. Informal gatherings and hanging out are part of the Madrona fun and Tradition. Even if you don’t sign up for a class, come and enjoy the Market, demonstrations, clinics, evening events and knit and spin with old and new friends. Remember you only pay for classes and the Saturday banquet — the rest of Madrona is FREE!
MADRONA CHARITY EFFORTS
We have long supported three charities: MSF/Doctors without Borders, The Global Fund for Women, and Heifer International. Why do we ask you to join us in supporting these exceptional charities?
- They help people who need them without regard to politics.
- They build equality and participation in society to create a more just and sustainable world.
- Their work is life-giving and will benefit the next generation that follows.
We are continuing this year an online giving opportunity that is secure and all donations go directly to the charity of your choice. Each of the Madrona Charity Partners has created an option for supporters like Madrona to have a special fundraising effort and create our own Madrona page on each charity’s website. We have created pages this year and you can access the Madrona page of the charity you choose by clicking here or by going to the bar at the top of this page and click on Charity Efforts – Donate Now!
ARE YOU READY FOR MADRONA?
Another Madrona is ready to take off! We’ve outlined all the highlights for you below. Click Here for the Retreat Events Schedule and Times.
Join in the fun even if you are not registered. Informal gatherings and hanging out are part of the Madrona community tradition. There are NO ENTRY FEES. Everyone is welcome.
Parking at Madrona
There is paid daily parking at the Hotel Murano and other pay-for-parking sites in the vicinity of the hotel. For more parking, driving directions and travel information see the Hotel and Travel Information page on the Madrona website. Another possible option for paid parking is at the Tacoma Convention Center down the street from the Murano, although there are events scheduled there. Click here for a Map and Directions for additional parking in the area.
The 2018 Yarn and Fiber Market is the Best Yet
Our Fabulous Market is always FREE!
- We’ve got your favorite vendors and a few new ones this year. The Market is open in the Pavilion at the Hotel Murano daily during the retreat from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm and closes earlier on Sunday at 2:00 pm.
- Click here to see all that this year’s Madrona Market has to offer.
Demo’s and Clinics Galore in the Rotunda – All FREE!
- Come join the fun in the Rotunda, gather around with friends and meet new ones. Knit, spin, explore weaving, Kumihimo braiding, get answers to your knitting questions and spin along with mentors.
- Amy Herzog will demonstrate her CustomFit process for knitting a perfect fitting sweater. Janine Bajus shares the secrets of color in Fair Isle and Myrna Stahman will consult on Lace Knitting. Carol Milne is back showing how she knits in glass. John Whitley will demonstrate Kumihimo Braiding on his Kakudai. There’s spinning with Sarah Anderson, weaving with Tracy Irwin, and you can take your knitting questions to Daniel Herrera and Karen Aho. Gather around with your friends.
- Click Here for the full schedule of all that’s happening in the Rotunda.
Evening Events at Madrona
Thursday Evening: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee hosts the Seventh Annual Teacher Talent show for Charity.
BALLROOM DOORS OPEN AT 7:00 PM AND NOT BEFORE. sHOW BEGINS AT 7:30 PM.
A select number of your teachers have decided to reveal their non-knitting talents as a fundraiser for MSF-Doctors without Borders, The Global Fund for Women, and Heifer International. We promise this night will be magical and unexpected. You know it has become a tradition and a highlight of Madrona! This will be another unforgettable evening for Charity.
- Tickets are not needed, but we and our teachers ask you to give generously to Madrona’s Charity Partners. They provide health care, economic security, safety, education and leadership opportunities for families and especially for women and children throughout the world. Doctors without Borders and grantee organizations of the Global Fund for Women have been Nobel Peace Prize winners.
- There are tables at the back of the room with people to collect your donations. We are also offering an online option for you to securely to direct your donation to the charity of your choice. You can choose to use your own online device or get assistance from one of our volunteer helpers with your online donation.
- We will also be collecting Knitted hats, scarves, and sweaters for the local charity Caring for Kids.
- There is a STRICT MEDIA BLACKOUT for this event. The agenda is a secret and a condition of several teachers’ performance. No cameras, no recording, no blogging, absolutely no YouTube or Twitter. What happens at Madrona, stays at Madrona and the only way to know what happens this night is to be there!
Friday Evening Teacher’s Gallery and Presentation by Kate Larson – FREE
ballroom doors open at 7:00 pm and presentation begins promptly at 7:30 pm
You are invited to meet all the teachers and view their amazing fiber artwork following the presentation by Kate Larson. Kate loves using fiber arts as a bridge between her passions for art and agriculture. She is the sixth generation of her family to live and work on their Indiana farm. Kate now grazes her flock of beloved Border Leicester Sheep in pastures cleared by her ancestors. She teaches spinning and knitting throughout the US and is the author of “The Practical Spinner’s Guide: Wool” published by Interweave in 2015. Join Kate as she shares her adventures as a shepherd, a little bit about her family’s history and the path that led her home after knitting abroad and farming in rural Vermont for a year without running water!
Saturday Evening Banquet Dinner – By Ticket Only
Ballroom doors open at 6:15 Pm, dinner is served at 6:45 pm. cash bar outside the ballroom is open 5:30 – 7;30 pm.
- Our speaker this evening is Nancy Bush. The Estonian Minister of Foreign Affairs presented a letter of gratitude to Nancy thanking her for many years of introducing the culture and history of Estonian knitting to Americans. Nancy will take us on a journey from Folk Socks to the shores of the Baltic. She will share how she discovered Estonia, fell in love and how this changed and embellished, not only her knitting but her life!
- The banquet is sold out and admission is by ticket only so be sure to have your ticket with you. It’s in your name badge holder.
- You may trade or sell your ticket — see the whiteboard by the Retreat Registration Table.
- Mini Classes: You may sign up for any Mini Class with an opening right up until 24 hours before the class. At the retreat to sign up for a Mini Class see Mary at the Retreat Registration Table. If you can’t attend you Mini Class you are free to see or give it away – but you must let us know who will be taking your place.
- Regular class registrations are closed. No exchanges, additions or changes can be made at the retreat.
- Check the Supply and Homework List at the top of this page and come prepared for class. Supply list for Mini Classes is in the Mini Class Schedule.
- On arrival check in at the Retreat Registration Table (one floor up from the lobby) and get your registration envelope with class locations, a map of the hotel and your name badge. There are lots of posters and signs to get you where you want to go!
- Check the Hotel and Travel Information page on this website for driving directions, airport shuttle information, train travel and parking suggestions. Remember to leave plenty of time before class to park, get your registration envelope and find your class.
And last but certainly not least, be prepared to have fun!
Suzanne and Cornie may set the stage but it is all of you who make Madrona come alive! We would not want to miss being with you all!